The Double Take
We never fail to get "double takes" from passers-by when we take Bella for a walk in our neighbourhood. You see, she's mixed (half Chinese and half Caucasian, or more specifically Afrikaans). The maneouvre goes something like this:
1. Look at my child
2. Look at me
3. Look at my partner
4. Look back at my child
(By this time, they would have passed us so they finish off the maneouvre by turning their heads around to get one last look).
I wouldn't mind it so much if they smiled or appeared friendly but most of them are just short of gawking at us like we were circus animals. My partner looks at them right in the eye in the hopes of intimidating them and making them aware that they were being rude but I can't. I usually just look away pretend that I don't see them but still feel their penetrating stares.
Sometimes, however, examination of our baby does lead to interesting encounters. For example, the other day when we were having lunch with my mother at a local Chinese restaurant in the suburbs, a white woman approached us with her obviously mixed child. She said that her child likes to say "hi" to all the other children in the restaurant. Upon hearing her accent, my partner asked if she was South African to which she answered "yes." Stop the bus, we found another child who was half Chinese and half South African! We always thought that our child would be a unique mix and we would be hard pressed to find another mix like her. We regret not talking to her more and asking her questions on how it's like raising a mixed child in South Africa (they were just vacationing here in Toronto). Glad to see that there are others like us though!

3 Comments:
I recently read a great (and true) short story about a lesbian South African couple who adopted two girls and later immigrated to Canada (specifically Vancouver). The mothers were white and the babies black. The author said that in South African and in Canada the racial mix seemed to be a bigger deal than being gay with children.
Bella is a beautiful girl. The people worrying about race are missing out.
ps. That story is called 'From Africa to Canada' by Jo Goodwill, and was part of an anthology called 'When Your Voice Tastes Like Home: immigrant women write.' In case you're interested. Great book.
Too funny! We just experienced this today (as we often do...) with Adam! An older Chinese lady did EXACTLY as you described! So much so that I commented to Daddy at how much she was staring. I loved this write-up, Soph! I'm going to send this blog to my girlfriend who is Blonde and fair like me - having a baby with her Vietnamese husband. Ha!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home