Thursday, August 18, 2011

Speaking tongues - new test subject - Sela'khaya


Sela'khaya, being born in June 2008 and us having moved to Hong Kong in February 2009, has meant that she has spent the majority of her life in HK and not in Canada. Well, after now having been in HK for 2 years and 5 months, Khaya too is in kindergarten - Chinese kindergarten. Having been satisfied with Isabella's progress in Cantonese and Mandarin at Sun Island Kindergarten, it was a no-brainer to have Khaya follow in her big sister's footsteps and hopefully her achievements.

Khaya's first day was 4 August 2011 and it was for one hour. The second day would also be for one hour but with the 3rd and 4th day extended to two hours and so on. But back to the first day - after breakfast Khaya got into her school uniform (Bella's hand-me-down) and her new (!) white school shoes (only because Bella's old ones were still too big for her). We all walked her to school together and once she got there, she was clear about what had to do: say hi to teachers, wash and dry her hands, and get into the classroom.

With all of the obviously first time parents sending their kid to school, I hung back a little from the window of the classroom cuz I've done this before. However, I did manage a 10 second peek into what Khaya was doing after she immediately beelined for the only table that didn't have any other kids but the table's allotment of shared toys. A little boy then sat at her table and not being to hear but I can imagine what might have been said...

Boy: Hi (but in Cantonese)
Khaya: (looks up but no sound)
Boy: (looking at the toys she's playing with) Can I?....
Khaya: (quickly distancing herself and the toy away from the boy) No! go away!
Boy: (obviously not expecting this reaction, he starts violently shaking his head) No, no, no!
Khaya: (oblivious to his protestations continues playing with her toys)

So not alot of talking but not alot of sharing either. After seeing her big sister go off to school every morning for 2 years, I'm not sure if she was thinking "I'm finally here. I made it. And no one is going to take this away from me."

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home