Little Emperors

In China, children (especially sons) are so treasured because of the country's one-child policy that the term "little emperors" have entered the lexicon. Here in North America, I believe that phenomenon is happening here, too. Take for example, your typical baby stroller. When my partner and I were shopping for a baby stroller, we thought that $200 should buy us a nice one. Little did we know that a good stroller in North America can cost as much as a second-hand car in South Africa! When a sales associate was telling us about the different strollers, one stroller seemed to stand out from the rest.
Yes, I am talking about the "bugaboo." Parents and parents-t0-be know this brand. Why? Because it is really a good stroller - lightweight, sleek design, thoughtful features, and a great range of colours. But also because they cost $1,000 - and that's before the tax!
Yes, I admit that my partner and I were bowled over by the smart design of the "bugaboo" that we tried to justify its cost (we both work for environmental non-profit organizations which, suffice to say, doesn't make us millionaires). But in the end, we found our brains again and realized what folly it is to spend that much on a stroller.
However, we see the "bugaboo" on a regular basis, and no, not just the same mom in our neighbourhood. Lots of moms and dads pushing this expensive stroller all over the city. I would love to ask them if they blinked an eye when they spent over $1,000 on this stroller. Alot of people in this city make less than that in one paycheque. How much money do they spend on other items for their "little emperors?"
Far be it from me to judge what people spend their money on, but spending a grand for a stroller seems a little excessive, no?
But if you secretly asked me if I had the money to buy the "bugaboo," would I?
Hell, ya!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home